Ok all you menfolk out there, this recipe is for you. One of my readers sent me this recipe for Brat and Broccoli Casserole that she makes for her plant-based husband, because she was having a hard time finding foods that would keep him satisfied and on track.
- It is made from my homemade Vegan Beer Brats to give it a real 'beefy' flavor.
- Starchy Whole Wheat Macaroni gives it a real 'stick to your ribs' kind of texture.
- Broccoli adds a nice bit of color and added vitamins.
- And the whole thing is simmered in a Dark Stout Mushroom Gravy that is so good it ought to be illegal.
The whole recipe might seem like a bit of work, but once you've made the Brats, the rest of it comes together pretty quickly.
I'm serious about that gravy! This is going to make a nice addition to my Octoberfest Recipes!
Yes, she used beer and many of you have asked about substitutions in the past. Let me just say that the Dark Stout that I used gave it an entirely new dimension of flavor. Yes, you can just sub extra veg broth, but you'll be missing out on something truly special.
And so satisfying!
I've seen it time after time, where my female readers are beside themselves trying to get their carnivore husbands to at least TRY our food.
They're not picky exactly, it's just that they just don't want to eat sprouts, or tofu, or any of our sometimes weird "vegan" food.
They want GUY food! Chile, hamburgers, brats, and gravy! And don't forget the beer!
Well, guys..... THIS is the recipe for you.
Who says plant foods are boring?
Brat and Broccoli Casserole
To begin, make a batch of my Vegan Beer Brats. Click the link for the recipe. This recipe will make about 5 brats, and you only need 2 or 3, so you'll have a few extra to throw on the grill tomorrow or just to snack on.
Once the brats are steamed, take them out of the steamer and let them rest.
Oh, and you can definitely wrap them in parchment paper first, before wrapping them in foil.
Now the gravy:
Whisk all the dry ingredients together to mix well, then toast them in a large saucepan over med-low heat. We don't want it to burn, just to start smelling like there's toast cooking in the toaster.
Then we add the veg broth and beer.
As I said, I used a Dark Stout (like Guinness). Any dark beer will probably work fine. I personally used a stout from a Brewery here on the West Coast of Oregon called Pelican Brewing.
Finally, add the soy sauce and some sliced Portabella Mushrooms and let it thicken.
Next, the Macaroni
Actually, any kind of short pasta will work fine. I used Whole Wheat Macaroni but I think Brown Rice Pasta would work too. But seeing how Vital Wheat Gluten is a key ingredient in the brats - this is NOT going to be a Gluten Free recipe. Sorry.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and rinse it with cold water.
Now add the gravy, 2 or 3 of the diced-up Brats, and a 12oz bag of steamed Broccoli. Mix well.
Finally, the casserole
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with some Rye Breadcrumbs. I toasted 2 or 3 slices of a Dark Rye Bread and crumbled it up on top for the breadcrumbs.
Cover (again with parchment paper and then foil) and bake in a 350° oven for 35 minutes.
Remove the foil and paper and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
Now I will say this makes a LOT of food. My friend likes to BATCH COOK, so this will definitely leave leftovers to freeze for another dinner.
And there you go.
Beer Brat and Broccoli Casserole
Pure comfort food.
I just want to say thank you Linda, for a lovely recipe and if any of you would like a recipe featured, send me a text or IM on Facebook. I'll be glad to take a look!
Until next week....... take care and eat your veggies!
A rich and satisfying casserole for those menfolk out there who want something a little more hearty. Beer Brats, Macaroni, and Broccoli come together in a Dark Stout Mushroom Gravy that will surely please the pickiest eater.
Dark Stout Mushroom Gravy
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth ((low sodium))
- 2 cups Dark Stout Beer
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce ((low sodium))
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms ((cleaned & sliced))
- 1 batch Vegan Beer Brats
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Pasta
- 12 oz Frozen Broccoli
- 3 slices Dark Rye Bread
Dark Stout Gravy
- Mix all dry ingredients together and gently toast over med-low heat. Don't burn it - just heat the dry mixture until it smells 'toasty'.
- Meanwhile - clean and de-stem mushrooms. Slice into thin slices.
- Add the Veg Broth and Beer and whisk thoroughly to remove any lumps.
- Stir in Soy Sauce and mushrooms and simmer until thickened
- Prepare the Beer Brats according to the recipe instructions. Allow to cool and then dice into small pieces.
- Prepare Pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Microwave bag of Broccoli according to package instructions.
- Pour the gravy into the pan of drained pasta and then stir in the brats and broccoli. Stir well.
- Lightly toast the Rye Bread and them crumble into breadcrumbs.
- Turn the pasta mixture out into a large casserole dish. Top with the breadcrumbs, and cover with parchment paper, and then seal with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove foil and parchment and continue baking an additional 10 minutes.
Donations are always welcome!