With fall officially underway (at least here in the Pacific NW) I thought I would add another comforting soup recipe to my collection. And what could be more comforting than a nice hot bowl of Potato Leek Soup?
I have been listening to your comments, so I knew I wanted a recipe that was
- needed no fancy equipment to make
- and didn't require messing up every pot & pan in the house
- and as an added bonus - is Mary's Mini Compliant
Plus there's the fact that I already had 2 recipe fails this week and "I" needed something fast and delicious too!
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup is just the thing.
One pot is all you need, with a couple of potatoes, a couple of leeks, and a carton of Veg Broth.
But if you REALLY want to take it up a notch - crumble up a few crispy french fries on top, with just a little dollop of my Green Chile Sour Cream?
Dang.......now that is good.
Ok - enough of the 'blah blah blah' many of you said you don't read anyway..... but if you have read down this far .... what movie does that come from?
"I don't say blah, blah blah"
This has quickly become of my favorite movies ever 🙂 Whoever guesses the movie first, with the actor that says it, gets a free copy of my 2016 Holiday Recipe Guide, so I really hope you didn't skip this part 🙂
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
We're going to start by cleaning up 2 large leeks. Cut off the root end, then turn it around and leave about an inch of the dark green leaves and cut off the rest. You should be left with the white/light green part with about an inch of the dark green.
Slice these in half lengthwise (from root to tip) and then slice crosswise into ⅜" ribbons. Try to keep them all about the same size so they cook evenly. Place all the chopped leeks into a bowl of cold water and really swish them around as a lot of dirt and grime hide in between all those layers.
Drain the leeks and add to a large soup pot. Add just enough veg broth to keep them from sticking and begin to saute the leeks until really, really, softened. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
Add 1 clove of minced garlic right before the leeks have finished softening. and give them a quick stir.
Meanwhile peel 2 large, baking size Russet Potatoes (Yukon Golds would be really good too but I would add a 3rd potato) and then cut them into similar sized cubes.
Once the leeks have become almost like mush, add your cubed potatoes and 4 cups of low sodium veg broth.
Season with salt, pepper, and thyme and add 2 Bay Leaves.
Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover. Let that simmer about 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are super soft.
Now I said no fancy equipment was required, but I happen to have an immersion blender so I used that to blend my soup. If you don't have one you could easily transfer a few cups at a time to your regular blender until the whole soup is pureed and very smooth.
You can leave it chunky too if that's what you like. and if it's too thick - just add a little more broth or water.
Once it's blended, take a taste and adjust any seasonings. It will probably need a bit more salt, so add that to your own taste. I also added 1 tsp of Vegan Worcestershire Sauce at this point for a little more flavor.
I garnished my soup with some fresh chives and a few french fries from my air-fryer for crunch. As I said above - a big dollop of my Green Chile Sour Cream adds a whole additional layer of flavor - but I'll leave that optional.
And for those of you who are thinking of trying your first (or maybe another) Mary's Mini Potato Diet - this soup is absolutely compliant.
Until next time!Print
With fall officially underway, what could be more comforting than a nice hot bowl of Potato Leek Soup? Here's a tip - add a few french fries as a garnish...talk about GOOD!
- 2 Russet Potatoes (or 3 Yukon Golds)
- 2 Leeks
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
- Fresh Chives for garnish
- Trim off the root end of each leek, and all but about 1" of the dark green leaves of the other end. Cut the leeks lengthwise (root to tip) and then slice into ⅜" ribbons
- Add chopped leeks to a bowl of cold water and rinse thoroughly. Drain leeks and add to a large soup pot.
- Add just enough water or veg broth to prevent sticking, and saute the leeks until they are very soft. About 10-15 minutes. Add 1 clove of minced garlic and stir.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into equal sized cubes and add to the soup pot.
- Add 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer until potatoes are very soft - about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend using your blender or immersion blender.
- Stir in Worcestershire Sauce.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings.
- If too thick simply add a little more broth or water.
- Garnish with fresh chives, parsley, crispy french fries, or vegan sour cream.
Keywords: vegan potato leek soup