Well I think I got it - and the secret is in the sauce.
- There's NO tofu.
- There's NO cashews.
- There's NO oil.
- And there's obviously NO mayo either.
So what did I use to make it so creamy?
White Cannellini Beans to be exact.
I know...weird right?
I basically used my White Bean Mayo recipe from my Vegan Turkey Salad recipe to make homemade Potato Salad, and it turned out WONDERFUL!
Smooth and creamy Vegan Potato Salad, PERFECT for those summer picnics.
Vegan Potato Salad
You're going to need 6 medium-sized Red Potatoes. Give them a good scrub and then cube them into large chunks.
- If you have an INSTANT POT, you can add the steam trivet that came with your IP to the bottom of the pot, and then add your potatoes along with 1½ cups of water. Set it to MANUAL and cook for 4 minutes.
- For the stovetop version, boil the potatoes in just enough water to cover them, for about 5-10 minutes or so. Just until they are fork tender. Now drain off the water and immediately set the potatoes aside in the refrigerator to cool while we make the rest of the salad.
In a large bowl chop 2-3 ribs of celery, a ¼ of a Red Onion (or more), and about ¼ of a Red Bell Pepper. Now add 2 heaping tablespoons or so of Dill Pickle Relish and stir to mix.
(I like Dill Relish- but you can use Sweet Pickle Relish too if that's what you prefer)
Set this aside and let's move on to the dressing....
Empty the can of beans into your blender - JUICE AND ALL - and then add all the remaining ingredients for the dressing and blend until smooth and creamy.
Back to the salad....
Add your cooled potatoes to the salad bowl and gently stir to mix everything together. Finally, using a rubber spatula, carefully fold about 1 cup of the dressing into the salad and mix until everything is blended.
Note: The recipe will make about 2 cups of dressing so you can use the remaining dressing on whatever you wish - or for super creamy potato salad you can use the whole batch.
Chill for 30 minutes or so, adjust any seasonings if needed, and garnish with a dusting of paprika.
Mmm summertime potato salad, with hardly any fat. PERFECT.
Hope you enjoy and be sure and keep those comments coming!
A smooth and creamy Vegan Potato Salad without using any mayo, tofu, or nuts. The secret is in the sauce!
- 6 Red Potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- 2 Ribs Celery (finely chopped)
- ¼ Red Onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ Red Bell Pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbs Dill Pickle Relish
- 1 can Cannellini Beans (15oz)
- 3 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Tahini
- 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbs Dill Pickle Juice
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Pepper
- ½ tsp Celery Seed
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Wash and scrub 6 medium-sized Red Potatoes and cube into large chunks.
- INSTANT POT: Add your steamer trivet to your IP, the potatoes, and 1 ½ cups of water. Set to MANUAL and cook for 4 minutes.
- STOVETOP: Add the potatoes to a large pan and cover with water. Boil until just fork tender - 5-10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes, drain, and set aside in refrigerator to cool while preparing salad and dressing.
- Finely chop onion, red bell pepper, and celery and add to a large bowl. Stir in relish and mix thoroughly.
- For the dressing, empty the can of beans (including the juice) into your blender and add all the remaining dressing ingredients. Blend on high until smooth.
- Carefully mix the cooled potatoes with the salad ingredients and then fold in at least 1 cup of the dressing. Mix carefully.
- Note: The dressing makes about 2 cups - I would start with just 1 cup of the dressing and add more if necessary. Use the remainder as a salad dressing or mayo substitute.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes and serve.
Garnish with a dusting of paprika if desired.