Fresh beans in less than an hour? These Vegan Refried Beans are made completely from scratch using dried Pinto Beans and an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker….
- 1/2 onion
- 1 heaping tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 lb (16oz) dried pinto beans
- Water to cover beans (about 1 inch)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Roughly chop onion and add to IP along with jalapeno & garlic
- Rinse beans thoroughly and add to IP
- Add enough water to completely cover beans by about 1 inch
- Stir in cumin
- Attach lid, set to SEALING, and use MANUAL mode for 45 minutes
- When finished, allow the IP to vent naturally and carefully remove lid
- Remove the majority of liquid by ladling it out into another container. Then mash beans to a creamy consistency using a potato masher, fork, or immersion blender.
- Beans will be slightly runny, but will firm up when cooled. If additional liquid is needed use the leftover bean liquid 1 Tbs at a time.
- Season to taste