This week's recipe of braised red cabbage and apples reminds me of all of the chilly Octoberfests I used to go to in Rio Rancho. Fall is definitely in the air! Prost!
The only thing missing is a big stein of Dunkel and the polka band!
Maybe a pretzel too...
I took red cabbage, onions, and apples and gently simmered them in a rich, balsamic vinegar until they were melt-in-your-mouth tender. For the carnivores in your family, toss in some of these Vegan Beer Brats for a complete meal!
A big shout-out to Ruth Thompson for the inspiration of this week's recipe. Thank you so much Ruth!
- Red cabbage
- Red onion
- Honeycrisp apples
- Balsamic vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie spices
See recipe card for quantities.
Step 1: Slice your onions into thin strips and add them to a large Dutch oven.
Step 2: Core your apples and then slice them thinly or dice them before adding to the pot along with a small amount of water or broth to saute. Add salt and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Step 3. Slice the cabbage into quarters and remove the tough, white core. Then shred and add to the onions. Mix thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes.
Step 4. Whisk together the vinegar, maple syrup, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon and add to the cabbage along with ½ cup of water.
Step 5. Mix thoroughly and cover. Let simmer for 1 hour, then check for tenderness and seasoning. Add 2 additional tablespoons of vinegar if desired along with any additional salt and/or pepper.
- Red cabbage is a must
- Use any vinegar you like such as Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- I finished mine with 2 T. of California Balsamic's Pear Balsamic.
- Maple syrup can be omitted or replaced with your sweetener of choice
- I used Honeycrisp apples but you can also use Granny Smith, Gala, or Fiji
- Instead of using the pumpkin pie spices try adding ½ teaspoon of Allspice
This will make 6-8 servings and will keep in the fridge for about 5 days.Print
This week's recipe of braised red cabbage and apples reminds me of all of the chilly Octoberfests I went to. Fall is definitely in the air!
- 1 red onion
- 2 Honeycrisp apples
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small head of red cabbage (2 lb)
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Slice onion and add to a Dutch oven with 1-2 T. water or broth
- Start sautéing the onions using medium heat
- Slice the apples thinly (or dice) and remove the cores
- Add the apples to the onions and sprinkle with salt
- Cut cabbage in half, then again into quarters, and remove the thick core
- Thinly slice and add the cabbage to the onions & apples
- Whisk the maple syrup and the seasonings into the vinegar, then pour over the cabbage
- Add the water and mix thoroughly
- Cover and let simmer for 60 minutes
- Test for tenderness and add additional salt and/or vinegar to taste
Keywords: braised red cabbage and onions