One of my readers requested a new recipe based on my “Taco Meat” from my Amazing Cauliflower Tacos Recipe. So I took a break from the Instant Pot last night and whipped up what I call this Vegan Taco Pie.
And it was mighty delicious!
Vegan Taco Pie Casserole
This is actually a very simple recipe based on several of my previous recipes.
- The Enchilada Sauce can me made from my Potato Mushroom Enchilada Recipe.
- The taco ‘meat’ is from my Amazing Cauliflower Taco Recipe.
- And the Cornbread Topping is my Country Vegan Cornbread Recipe.
I bought one of those bags of Riced Cauliflower already precut and it made the Tacos come together a lot easier. Start your taco meat baking while you prepare the Enchilada Sauce, which is nothing more than Tomato Sauce, Water, and some spices.
Then, sauté a large Onion, 1 Green Bell Pepper, and 1 Red Bell Pepper in a little bit of Veg Broth. When softened, stir in 4-5 cloves of minced garlic and let then simmer for a minute or two.
Stir in your baked Taco Crumbles and 1 cup of Enchilada Sauce. To give it even more of an authentic Taco/Mexican flavor – stir in 1 Tbs of Masa Corn Flour and it will also thicken the filling.
Spoon the filling into a 9×13 Glass Baking Dish and then pour the batter from the Cornbread Recipe over the top.
Bake in a 350 °F oven for 30 minutes…or until the top has turned a golden brown.
Garnish with shredded lettuce, tomato, salsa, or avocado.
The sweet cornbread goes very well with the slightly spice taco mixture. I can easily see this becoming a new regular on our dinner rotation. Please give me a shout if you try it and let me know what you think!
As always – keep those comments coming.
- 8 oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups riced Cauliflower
- 4 oz Fresh Mushrooms
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Ground Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1 cup of bread flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix all Enchilada Sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until bubbly.
- Slowly stir in cold water.
- When simmering again, add cornstarch slurry to thicken.
- Set aside 1 cup of Enchilada Sauce.
- Prepare Taco Crumbles by chopping mushrooms and walnuts until uniform in size.
- The crumbles should have the size of crumbled hamburger, or rice.
- Add Cauliflower and stir to combine.
- Add all Taco Seasonings and stir to coat.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Stir crumbles around and then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Set Taco Crumbles aside.
- Saute veggies (onion & Peppers) until softened.
- Stir in minced garlic for a minute or two and then stir in Taco Crumbles.
- Add the cup of Enchilada Sauce and stir to combine.
- Stir in 1 Tbs of Masa Corn Flour to thicken if desired.
- Cook until bubbly and slight thickened, and then remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into a 9x13 Glass Baking dish and spread evenly.
- Prepare Cornbread Batter by mixing all dry ingredients first.
- Then mix all wet ingredients together and pour into the dry.
- Mix until a loose batter has formed then pour onto casserole - spreading evenly.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.